Can I claim tax relief if I’m working from home?

For colleagues working part or full time at home…

Did you know you can claim tax relief if you have to work from home?

HMRC says you can claim tax relief for additional household costs if you have to work at home on a regular basis, either part or full time. This includes if you have to work from home as a result of the Coronavirus pandemic.

You can claim tax relief only if your employer requires you to work from home, rather than if you choose to work from home.

You can claim for costs for things including:

  • heating
  • metered water bills
  • home contents insurance
  • business calls
  • a new broadband connection.

You may also be able to claim tax relief on equipment you’ve bought, such as a laptop, chair or mobile phone.

You cannot claim for costs that would stay the same if you worked from home or went to the office, such as mortgage interest, rent or council tax.

If you want to claim tax relief you will need to get in touch with HMRC and complete a self-assessment form. The CCG cannot do this for you.

Find out how you can claim tax relief and how much on the GOV.UK website.

Leave a reply:

Your email address will not be published but the name you enter will be.